Sunday, July 20, 2008

Living Life on Target



As a child, do you remember what you wanted to become when you grew up? I wanted to be several things. First, I knew I wanted to be a cowboy in the Wild West (that must have been right after the Christmas someone gave me the two slickest silver pistols I’d ever seen). Then I put away my pistols and picked up a baton, dreaming, for whatever odd reason, that I would be an orchestra conductor some day. Finally, in my pre-adolescent years I dreamt of becoming a military pilot. I’ve not become any of those things, but funny enough, I do love westerns (and the west), I play drums, and I’ve taken flying lessons.

Sadly, a lot of us still don’t know what we’re supposed to be doing with our lives. Feeling well and living well comes from more than taking care of one’s body. Surely, when one is sick or is out of shape, few things get our spirits up. Yet, having a sense of wholeness comes from various sources. One is our physical well being. Second is from finding our spiritual bearing. A third (related to the second) has to do with finding one’s place in this world. By this I’m referring to what the world renowned violinist, Yehudi Menuhin, once stated, “I did know instinctively that to play was to be.” What were you created and gifted to do? What gives you the most passion and satisfaction in life? If given the opportunity, what would you do for the rest of your life?

In terms of people’s activities most go throughout life without finding their sense of purpose. Os Guinness in his book, The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life, writes about the importance of matching one’s giftedness to one’s vocation or calling. He writes, “Somehow we human beings are never happier than when we are expressing the deepest gifts that are truly us” (44). I think a lot of people are frustrated, and not necessarily so, because they have or don’t have lots of money. Sometimes people are bound to certain jobs because of the market (times are rough now). Sometimes people are bound to a particular kind of work because it pays the bills (not because they enjoy it). But, how many people do you know can tell you that they are doing what they are? (Continued tomorrow)

No comments: