Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Call Back to God by a President of the U.S.A.

I'm almost a day late in posting this (unless you are actually reading this on Thursday), but I just read this quote and felt I needed to share it with my readers. These words are especially significant in light of the words of the Prophet Jeremiah (Jeremiah 18:7-10). Oh, how I wish that every American elementary and secondary student had had these words read to them on this day. The quote is found in the Missional Church Network web site (click on title of this post):

“We have been preserved, these many years, in peace and prosperity. We have grown in numbers, wealth and power, as no other nation has ever grown. But we have forgotten God. We have forgotten the gracious hand which preserved us in peace, and multiplied and enriched and strengthened us; and we have vainly imagined, in the deceitfulness of our hearts, that all these blessings were produced by some superior wisdom and virtue of our own.

Intoxicated with unbroken success, we have become too self-sufficient to feel the necessity of redeeming and preserving grace, too proud to pray to the God that made us! It behooves us then, to humble ourselves before the offended Power, to confess our national sins, and to pray for clemency and forgiveness.”

– President Abraham Lincoln, 1863

In these tumultuous times I long for leadership that will call this country back to God. A President and a Congress that will recognize the indebtedness that we as a People have to our Divine Creator, and how desperate we need his mercy and grace in the days ahead.

Shalam Shalum (stay healthy, at peace and prosperous) in 2009

2 comments:

OnTheMarc said...

Hi Roger! You know, I thank God for you. We have been force-fed these far reaching parallels drawn by the left comparing Obama with Lincoln. I assure you that this quote would not see the light of day on any mainstream media outlet. Yet, with all of Obamas assertions as to his faith and his claim to be a man that believes in and follows Christ, I think that someone should read this quote to him and ask for his reaction. We would likely get a laundry list of platitudes and rhetoric but certainly no condemnation of sin or even an admission that sin exists. I hope you keep blogging. I stopped. I don't have much stomach for it anymore.

Unknown said...

Hi Roger: OnTheMarc has said it all. I, too, hope you keep blogging.